Here is the story:
The end user plugged the device into the same wall outlet in the downstairs bedroom he had been using since he had purchased the device months ago. After a couple hours he was upstairs and smelled the scent of burning plastic coming from the basement. When he got to his room he was shocked to find the source of the stench was actually his Droid Razr. He immediately unplugged the OEM data cable (which was connected to an OEM wall adaptor) from the device and noticed a circle shaped protrusion on the right side of the display. With the device still being warm, he effortlessly picked at it resulting in a chunk of the device to pop out completely. Closer inspection confirms that this was actually part of the fused Glass, Digitizer and LCD.
Perhaps the most interesting part of this incident is the fact that that the remaining intact Digitizer and LCD worked flawlessly, even after removing the piece that was seemingly adjacent to the source of the heat. When this was brought to a Verizon Wireless store, he was immediately connected to customer service. An abnormally long hold time had passed and he was instructed to send the device directly to Motorola. Anyone who has had experience with Verizon’s field replacement unit program would tell you that this was not normal warranty exchange protocol. He was sent a new device without any further questions being asked.
Cellect Repair decided to investigate. Here are some culprit possibilities of the integrated circuit based on the location of the burn mark.
This is the Texas Instruments WL1285C is a WiLink-7 WiFI SoC found in Motorola MOT-XT912. This cannot be confirmed as the source because of our limited information on the situation. However, if WiFi was enabled, this would be a solid place to start.
In late 2012 snopes.com investigated the rumor of cell phone charging electrocution. A number of valued Cellect Repair customers brought this article to our attention shortly after it was published for our thoughts on the rumor. This instantly became a viral article among Facebook and other popular technology blogs. Below are a few tips compiled by our lead technician to stay safe with charging any mobile electronic.